This cake is a bit of an accident…it’s a bit of this and that. And my family told me that if I didn’t write down the recipe, I’d be in BIG trouble. I call it “Cinnamon Tunnel Cake” because the topping/filling kind of boils into it, making gooey tunnels of cinnamony goodness. The pictures really don’t do it justice.
Cinnamon Tunnel Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water (approx.)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13” x 9” pan.
1. In a large bowl, dump all cake ingredients except the water. Mix well by hand with a wire whisk. If it seems too stiff to pour (will be thicker than cake batter but thinner than muffin batter) add a bit of water to loosen it up (it really depends on the size of your eggs and how thick your yogurt is).
2. Pour batter into prepared pan. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix the topping/filling ingredients well. Drizzle over the top of the batter by large spoonfuls (it will sink in a little).
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. When the cake is done, it will be lightly browned just at the edges and will bounce back when you press on it in the center.
5. Allow to cool slightly before serving. We cut it into 12 pieces.
You might also like: