Everyone should have a few last minute dinner options that can be thrown together with on-hand ingredients.
You never know when your son is going to break his arm, sending you out the door first thing in the morning to spend the entire day in doctors’ offices, waiting rooms, and the radiologist…and then realize that you forgot to put your ingredients into the crockpot before you left. Oy!
I feel like I’m becoming the Queen of last minute dinners lately. Fortunately, the results are usually good and worth making again. I was told by my family that I had to make this again…and to definitely share it with you.
It’s quick to put together and requires NO babysitting.
Shirred Confetti Eggs
served on a bed of fresh spinach, on the side we had grapes, leftover homemade cornbread, and sliced tomatoes (with a splash of balsamic vinegar)
For 6 servings, you will need:
- 12 eggs (you can make fewer)
- shredded cheese (I used about 3/4 cup cheddar)
- 1/2 very small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper (could use red), finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray all the cups of a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Carefully break each of the eggs into a muffin cup.
- Sprinkle each each with liberally with chopped onion and green pepper.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top each eggs with about 1 Tbsp of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degree F for about 15-18 minutes (mine take 18 minutes), or until the yolks are firm.
- While the eggs are baking, prepare your sides, we prefer to have fresh fruits, tender raw veggies, and maybe something bready.
- Loosen each egg around the edge with a knife and carefully scoop out onto a plate. I served mine on little beds of spinach leaves this time.
Don’t have onions or peppers? Leave them out! Or try some different combo of veg, the key is to cut them up very small and not to add too much or your eggs will get watery. They’d be really good with ham or bacon, too (we have a non-meat-eater in our house, so I skipped the meat).
What are some of your family’s favorite quick meals?
You might also like: